The Department of Mechanical Engineering started in September 2005 (2005/2006 Academic Session). The Department offers the Bachelor’s (Honours) Degree (B.Eng) in Mechanical Engineering. The duration of the Degree Programme is five (5) years of ten (10) semesters. However, based on the need to enlarge the scope of the Department in order to meet the demand for technological development and promote industrialization in the country, the Department of Mechanical Engineering is proposing to increase the number of Programmes to four (4). These are (B.Eng) in Mechanical Engineering, (B.Eng) Materials & Metallurgical Engineering, (B.Eng) in Industrial and Production Engineering and (B.Eng) in Mechatronics Engineering. All the students in the Programmes will be required to take the same courses at the 100 and 200 Levels. The alignment with the individual programmes will begin at the 300 Level and continue up to the 500 Level.
The Vision of the Department is to be nationally and internationally recognized as a leader in academic excellence with superior reputation in teaching, research and professional services and with a commitment to produce a new generation of leaders.
The Mission of Covenant University is to liberate mankind through the provision of the relevant university education for the society, that is by training students to become productive and resourceful people and agents of change. Similarly, the University aims at advancing the mental dignity of the human race, particularly Africans, who have largely lost their mental bravery to colonial entanglements. The Department, therefore, aligns itself with this Mission and aims at equipping men and women, its students, to face the challenges of life.
The Philosophy of the Programmes is derived from the departure philosophy of Covenant University. It is to marry theory with practice effectively and hence produce graduates who will be empowered to strengthen the weak or virtually non-existent manufacturing base of Africans and change the status of our industries from being ‘packaging’ industries to ‘manufacturing’ industries.
In pursuance of its Philosophy and in line with the entrepreneurship and Total Man Concept goals of Covenant University, the Department of Mechanical Engineering will lay emphasis on the following objectives, which are to:
- Facilitate a good grasp of a broad spectrum of engineering principles
- Facilitate the acquisition of practical work experience
- Inculcate entrepreneurial, marketing, and management skills in students
- Engage extensively in mechanical engineering research and development
- Train and produce men and women who will be alert to the engineering needs of their environment and be willing and eager to meet those needs
- Train and produce men and women who are equipped with the necessary tools (theoretical, spiritual, physical and intellectual) to design and manufacture machines and components for the benefit of their environment and mankind in general
- Bring out the best in the students through adequate exposure to theory, current trends and state of the art laboratory and industrial facilities.